What is now known as The Ed Sullivan Theater, opened in 1927 as the Hammerstein. In 1935 CBS took control and it was known as CBS-TV Studio 50. Ed Sullivan’s “Toast of the Town” moved there in 1953. In 1967, to mark the show’s 20th year, it was renamed The Ed Sullivan Theater in Ed’s honor. Retaining the name, it was the home of “The Late Show with David Letterman” and now, Stephen Colbert.